The John C. Calhoun, Bath Maine

From Transcribing and Interpreting Documents
Jump to navigation Jump to search

The John C. Calhoun was a built in Bath Maine in 1847, and was owned by Clark & Sewall of Bath.

It entered Baltimore in the Fall of 1848 and departed for Liverpool. It returned in the Fall of 1850 with a cargo of iron rails for the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad which it loaded in Newport, Wales. It then departed for New Orleans with passengers, 93 slaves sent by Joseph S. Donovan, a notorious slave dealer, and cargo.

Manuscripts relating to the voyage of the John C. Calhoun in the Fall of 1850 from Baltimore to New Orleans with 93 slaves