Aaron Burr (1756-1836)

From Transcribing and Interpreting Documents
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Research is devoted to Aaron Burr's connections with Maryland and especially Baltimore.


Burr spent Christmas at Robert Goodloe Harper's invitation with Charles Carroll and family in Annapolis. See: Burr, Aaron, Mary-Jo Kline, and Joanne Wood Ryan. The Papers of Aaron Burr. Glen Rock, N.J.: Microfilming Corp. of America, 1977 and Burr, Aaron, Mary-Jo Kline, and Joanne Wood Ryan. Political Correspondence and Public Papers of Aaron Burr. Princeton, N.J.: Princeton University Press, 1983, p. 806, for details.

1807: See the entry on Gallows Hill

in late October [1807] Blennerhassett and Burr agreed to travel to Philadelphia, where perhaps their lawyers and bankers could devise a solution to their :::monetary disagreements. On the twenty-fourth, Blennerhassett left Richmond, accompanied by Luther Martin. Affairs connected with the civil suits against Burr

in Richmond held him there for a few days, but when Blennerhassett and martin arrived in Baltimore on the first of November, they learned that the colonel had :::reached the city and that he and Sam Swartwout were staying at a hotel in Gay Street. In Baltimore the travelers experienced for the first time the attentions
of some of the many Americans who regarded the acquittals at Richmond as a miscarriage of justice. Blennerhassett was dining at Martin;s house in Charles :::Street when "one of the city regiments," led by a "desperate Democratic printer [Leonard Frailey]," paraded by with a fife and drum corps playing the "Rogue's :::March."
On the following morning [November 3], handbills, threatening dire reprisals against "his Quid Majesty" (Burr) and others, plastered the buildings of Baltimore.
By early afternoon, fifteen hundred angry citizens had poured into Charles Street, were bricking windows, and making "as much noise as if they were about to :::destroy the city." Martin, alarmed, got in touch with the mayor. The mayor, alarmed, provided a police guard and a carriage, in which Burr and Swartwout were
spirited to the office of the stage, where they boarded the mail coach to Philadelphia. Blennerhassett refused to flee. Instead he took to the garret of his
lodgings near martin's house. From there he watched the passage through the milling mob below of two cars carrying effigies of Burr, Marshall, Martin and :::himself, all of them "habited" as for execution; He watched till the rioters shouted themselves out and gradually dispersed.
The next day, he left for the Quaker City. There, on November 20, he and Burr conferred for the last time.

Lomask, v.2, pp. 291-291. This quote is not totally accurate and somewhat misleading. See the analysis of Burr's visit to Baltimore and his hanging in effigy cited above.